This is a followup to my previous video concerning sharpening tools while away from home base. With that video, I was not happy with that solution due to significant runout of my home built mandrel. I ask for suggestions and received a lot.
This video covers the two main categories of suggestions and my current “Plan C” solution. Actually, “Plan C” is two different alternatives so I can pick and choose whichever will work best for the tool at hand.
Plus, several suggestions centered on honing my tools. So as a bonus, I made a faceplate for honing also.
- Grinding Wheel – Norton 3X 6″ Ceramic Alumina High Performance – www.woodturnerscatalog.com
- Mandrel – Lathe Arbor, #2MT – www.highlandwoodworking.com/
- Grinding Wheel Dresser – Wood River Diamond Grinding Wheel Dresser – www.woodcraft.com
- Honing Compound – Green Chrome Oxide Compound – www.woodcraft.com
- Spindle Taps – Beall spindle taps – www.woodturnerscatalog.com & others
- Sandpaper – 10″ – www.woodcraft.com
- MDF – Medium Density Fiberboard – Local hardware store