At last, we’re announcing the results for this year’s challenge. The response has been amazing — Thank you all.
Congratulations to our finalists.
Everyone for whom we have an email address will also receive a certificate for their participation.
I want to add another simple ornament to this year’s Christmas Ornament Woodturning Challenge. This is an acorn made from walnut and elm. It is very light since I hollowed the inside. It is about 1″ in diameter an over 1 inch long.
My acorn is finished with shellac friction polish.
This year I really wanted to make this ornament, a maple globe with orbiting padauk resembling a molecule or, in a stretch, a planet with moons.
This one was fun. I started with 5 segmented rings of 12 segments each: 4 maple and 1 padauk. Then I sliced the padauk into 6 slices but only used 5 of the slices. At this point my segment count is 108. But wait there’s more.
After gluing into a ball, I sliced the ball 4 times and inserted one thin slicke of padauk each time, gluing it back into a ball each time. How many pieces of wood now? who knows. I’ve not counted. Finially add one more piece for the finial.
The ornament is finished with shellac friction polish.
This ornament displays a sputnik sea urchin shell on finials of walnut and a tropic hardwood.
The sea urchin shell is prepared by coating the insides with white glue and sanding the holes perfectly round.
The finials are finished with shellac friction polish.
This ornament is part of the 2014 Christmas Ornament Woodturning Challenge.
So, this inside-out ornament is a three sided ornament which presents a little more of a challenge because the stave angles are different and harder to get right.
This is made from three pieces of walnut ripped at 60 and 120 degrees. They are temporarily fastened together while turning the inside cavity. With that cavity finished, the staves are taken apart, rotated and permanently glued back together again.
Then the exterior is turned.
The challenge becomes how to turn the thin sides that become sharp and dangerous.
This ornament is finished with friction polish. The tree inside the ornament is maple. The bottom finial is a tropic pen blank.
For this ornament I wanted to try a variety of wood in a simple globe. Rather than scrounge for the wood, I chose nine pen blanks I purchased at a holiday sale. The pen blanks, though nice, would have blended together. To avoid this, I milled thin strips of walnut to glue between the blanks to separate and highlight the “exotic” woods.
After hollowing the globe, I turned a top and bottom finial that are joined by a small dowell thru the now hollow globe. A little wire formed into a loop and glued into the top finial completes the ornament. The pen blanks were stabilized with thin CA glue. All wood is finished with shellac friction polish.
Here’s a link to the Christmas Ornament Woodturning Challenge.
This video is a combo. First, following a conversation with a fellow club member about his difficulty turning perfect balls and spheres, I’ll demonstrate how to turn a perfect ball without having to buy and expensive jig. (and then finding the jig only does part of the job anyway.) Second, I’ll use the sphere to create a Christmas ornament with mirrors set into its perimeter.
For the Christmas ornament, I did not have to turn a perfect sphere — not one would ever check for perfection and many would prefer a more elongated shape anyway.
My ornament globe is walnut finished with shellac friction polish. The finials are turned from “topical hardwood” pen blanks. The mirrors are 1″ diameter from a local craft store. Beveled mirrors would be slightly better.
I wanted to turn a simple project for the Christmas Ornament Woodturning Challenge. I decided to turn a Christmas tree that did not require hollowing or any complex setup.
This tree is in two parts: tree and its base. The base is optional but I think it anchors and helps define the tree.
The tree is maple from a friend’s tree. I had turned this piece of wood into a small billet or round over a year ago to use for projects of this type.
The base is walnut scrap from another project. Both are finished with shellac friction polish.
Please enjoy this year’s Christmas Ornament Woodturning Challenge.
Sometimes I bite off more than I can chew. Perhaps this is the case with this flower. The idea came from a crocheted yarn broach given to my wife. I liked the idea of radiating flower petals tilted up and overlapping.
This video is my first attempt. While the flower looks ok, it was difficult and frustrating and not quite what I expected. So, I’ll be refining this approach for future flowers. I cannot expect perfection in the first iteration.
This flower is walnut and maple finished with lacquer.
I rough turned this apricot bowl a little over two years ago. I recorded its weight while it was drying. It lost about 40% of its original weight.
In this video, I remounted the bowl to trim the base and tenon before turning the bowl to its final shape and wall thickness.
I used my home made Cole jaws to turn the base.
This bowl is about six inches diameter and about 2 inches in height finished with mineral oil, beeswax, and carnauba wax.